Charles Sykes/BravoJohn Legend continues to stand in solidarity with R. Kelly‘s alleged victims of sexual and psychological abuse.
Thursday night, the “All of Me” crooner appeared on Watch What Happens Live alongside wife Chrissy Teigen. During his candid interview, Legend revealed why he chose to take part in Lifetime’s shocking expose Surviving R. Kelly, which detailed the decades-long accusations against the singer.
“I’m friends with the director, her name is Dream Hampton. She’s awesome,” he told host Andy Cohen. “We worked together on ending mass incarceration. I respect her work a lot, and she asked me to do it.”
Legend added that he felt compelled to use his voice to speak out in support of the young black women allegedly victimized by Kelly.
“Another reason I wanted to do it [was] because I have good friends that were a part of the #MuteRKelly movement. They were literally marching on the streets and they work with rape victims in Chicago,” he said.
“They work with a lot of black girls in Chicago who are often overlooked…I knew that as a celebrity I could lend my voice to these young people who have been hurt and give them a voice.”
As previously reported, Legend was been one of the biggest and earliest celebrity voices to denounce Kelly. While the likes of JAY Z, Mary J. Blige, Questlove, Lady Gaga and more declined to be a part of the documentary, Legend stood firmly against the 12 Play singer.
When his appearance in film was described as “courageous,” Legend has pointed out that a “serial child rapist” like Kelly doesn’t deserve to be protected.
Kelly has denied all allegations.
Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.