- India Arie has criticized Megan Thee Stallion and Janelle Monáe over their most recent performances at Essence Fest in New Orleans.
- On the festival’s official Instagram page, video of a twerk dancing competition including women of various sizes and shapes was posted.
- India said, “The issue is what is CONTEXT. Humanity does EVERYTHING. But does EVERYTHING BELONG IN A STAGE. No. is everything for KIDS? No. is everything for EVERY BODY? NO. so when we as a culture make something like this main stream ~ it shows a lack of discretion and discernment.”
- She continued, “To those in the comments who laugh at anyone who wants these things for out culture you certainly have that right. Just as many folks have the right to want our MAINSTREAM International export – out Music – to show us in a respectful light. Id like to go on the record saying : this wont age well and thats my issue.”
- She added, “i LOVE Janelle AND Meg the way i love us all ~ AND i dont like this moment. Dont bother debating me lol idc and I DO this. for 25 yrs i’ve done THIS. so. read ponder or dont.”
- Many people online were upset with India Arie for expressing her opinion on this matter, and she received a ton of backlash as a result of her comments.
- Why do you think India Arie is right about her opinion? Do you think she could have voiced it in a different way? How?